Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pear-Raspberry Jam

My mom and cousin, Debbie Stapley, used to make this jam every Fall. It is, hands down, my favorite homemade jam! I could eat it by the spoonfuls. And sometimes I do! Last year, my cousin Katie and I decided to carry on the jam-making tradition started by our cute mothers. We haven't quite mastered the art of jam making, but we get better each year and have fun doing it!

3 1/2 cups pureed pears (puree in blender)
1 cup pureed raspberries
1 1/3 packages sure-jell

Heat all of the above ingredients over medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Then, add 5 1/2 cups sugar and, again, bring to a boil. Cook and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Stir constantly for 5 minutes while cooling. Pour into HOT, clean jars. (We put the jars in the dishwasher and did a hot steam on them). Boil lids and rings in large pot of water. Place lids and rings on jars right out of boiling water. Screw on lids but do not tighten all of the way. Let sit until jars seal. If they do not seal, flip upside down for 5 minutes then turn right side up to finish cooling and sealing. YUM! These make for great Christmas presents. Your neighbors will love you!

2 comments:

Rachel Cunningham said...

I have never seen you eat a spoonful of jam in my life. That really is the good stuff. Do you have an extra jar for me?

Lana M. said...

I guarantee you have NO IDEA who I am, BUT....I L.O.V.E. this blog! I have tried SO MANY of the recipes and loved every single one. SO, I Thank You. As does my family, because now I cook and they like it! Yay me.

Now for the REAL reason I am finally commenting... for this recipe, can you used canned pears or do they need to be fresh? I'm feeling adventurous and would like to try and make jam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...