Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes

My cute visiting teacher, Erin, brought these delicious cupcakes to me in February. I politely waited until she left before indulging in one. My-oh-my! Hands down, the best red velvet cupcake I've ever had! I called her immediately for the recipe and couldn't wait to make these beauties myself. She got the recipe from Recipe Girl. Thank you, Erin, for changing my life and sharing your goods with me!!


Batter:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs, at room temp.
3/4 cup butter, at room temp.
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 oz. bottle red food coloring (2 Tbs.)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. vinegar

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in food coloring. Add cocoa powder and salt. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk. Then, pour in baking soda and vinegar. Mix until just combined. Pour into cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 15 - 17 minutes. Cool then frost with cream cheese frosting.

Frosting:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick butter, softened

Beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Die because they are SO good!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...