Friday, March 8, 2013

MANGO AVOCADO SALSA

I know its not summer yet, but it is spring and I am loving our warm/coolish AZ weather! And I LOVE MANGOES!! I grew up eating them year round, just like most of us do bananas. We often took trips to the beach in Mexico and sat on the beach with ripe mangoes, a knife and some limes.  The drill was:  Peel one, squeeze lime juice on it and eat that sweet messy fruit down to the pit! Then jump in the ocean to wash all the mess off your arms and face! Heaven, I tell you. 

 Anyway--I'm off on a tangent, but here is a great recipe. I was organizing some recipes and found it--haven't made it in a long time and wanted to share.  Oh, and avocados--another FAVORITE!!

I posted a picture of a yellow variety of mango instead of the green and red ones that are usually found in the grocery.  This variety is sweeter and less stringy. In AZ you can always buy them at Lee Lees Market (aka Lee Lees "stinky" Market--smells like fish).  Sometimes Costco and Sams have them in a six pack. Let them sweeten on your counter until they are soft and even a little wrinkly. The flesh will be like candy!! Anyway--here is the recipe!! Great with fish tacos (which I don't like) or just eat it with a spoon!!

mango avocado salsa
 
1 roma tomato, chopped
1 jalapeƱo, seeds removed and finely diced
1/2 mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced
a pinch of salt + pepper

Mix and chill.  You can adjust the jalapeno for your desired heat preference.  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...