Wednesday, April 18, 2012

CHICKEN WITH BASIL ARTICHOKE SAUCE




I used to subscribe to Taste of Home recipe magazine, but haven't for a long time. Every recipe had a little personal note about the submitter (is that a word)? They always seemed like such nice people--the kind that would bring you a warm loaf of home made bread and a jar of jam "just because".

I was looking for an old recipe on the internet and this one turned up from--you guessed it--Taste of Home. I made a few changes--I always seem to and my family really loved it. Pasta is not my husband's favorite (I could eat it every day) and he even said it was a "do again". And credit for the photo also goes to Taste of Home. Forgot to take a photo--AGAIN!!

6-8 boneless skinless chicken breast (I pounded to flatten them evenly)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. canola or olive oil (I used olive)
3 T. lemon juice

SAUCE:
7 T. cornstarch
3 c. milk (I used 1 cup half and half, 2 c. milk)
1 can (14 oz.) water packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
6-8 T. grated Parmesan cheese
4 T. minced fresh basil
2 c. chicken broth
3 t. lemon juice
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Pound chicken breasts so they are even thickness. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. In a skillet on medium high heat, brown the chicken on both sides. Place in a greased 9x13 baking pan. Drizzle with the lemon juice. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done.

In a heavy saucepan, whisk the cornstarch and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil (it will be thick) and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Thin the sauce with the 2 c. of chicken broth. Stir in the remaining ingredients and heat through.

I sliced the chicken in slices, served it over pasta noodles with the sauce and a little fresh basil and Parmesan sprinkled on top. It would be good over rice also. Tell me what you think!

1 comment:

Elena @ La Petite Vie said...

Wow, this sounds so delicous! I'm super excited about this sauce, thanks so much for the great recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...