Sunday, February 3, 2013

Another Chicken Tortilla Soup

We have some good chicken tortilla soup recipes on Becoming Betty, but I have one more to add.  We all like options, right?
I got this recipe from my good friend, Cara, who got it out of a Fry's recipe pamphlet.  It's been a little rainy here and I always want to eat soup when it's rainy, so I tried this recipe the other day and we loved it.  Add it to your soup recipe arsenal for those days when you just need something to warm you up.
1 onion, chopped
4 chicken breasts, frozen
1 can diced tomatoes
2 (4 oz.) cans green chilies
1 small can mild red enchilada sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
10 oz. frozen white corn
cilantro, chopped (as much as you like)

*In your crock-pot, layer the chopped onion, chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, green chilies, enchilada sauce, garlic, chicken broth, seasonings and bay leaf.  Cook on low for 5-6 hours.  Then mix up the soup, shred up the chicken with a fork and knife, and add corn and cilantro.  Cook for another hour or so and serve with tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream, if you'd like.

*I didn't write down all the can sizes as she was reading this to me over the phone, but they are all just regular sized cans, around 15 oz.  I actually made this on the stove, using already cooked, shredded chicken.  I let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...