Monday, May 18, 2009

Baked Teriyaki Chicken

A few weeks ago, at a family gathering, I ate the most amazing Teriyaki chicken. It was baked, on top of sticky rice, and I knew after the first bite that I had to have the recipe. I asked around all night until I finally found the person responsible for making this Moki's-like creation. It was Brett's cousin, Laurie, and I knew right away that I was out of luck. Laurie is one of those people who can whip up amazing dishes without ever consulting a recipe book. She adds a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, until she likes it. And it's always good. She tried to remember how she had made it and then I tried to duplicate it. The bad news is that my dish didn't turn out like hers. The good news is that my family still liked it.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 Tb. honey
1 Tb. Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
*Heat together in saucepan on stove and then add a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with cold water to thicken. Mix in 2 cups cooked chicken. Put chicken mixture over already cooked sticky rice and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
*I got my rice from Lee Lee's market on Dobson. The brand is Botan and it's Calrose rice. If you haven't been to that market, I highly recommend checking it out.
P.S. If any of you have a Teriyaki sauce recipe that you love, will you share it with me? I'm on a quest to find one that tastes like the kind at Hawaiian bbq places.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...