Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sugar Cookies

One of my favorite things to do during the holidays is bake.  Bake, bake, bake.  I just can't get enough of it!  One of the things I love to bake are sugar cookies.  Since they are a bit time consuming, I usually only make them for special occasions or holidays.  And I always make the sour cream sugar cookie recipe.  Our favorite!  But this year, I was feeling adventurous and decided to try a recipe from one of my favorite blogs - My Kitchen Cafe.  She's got some great recipes!  This is her favorite sugar cookie recipe, so I knew I couldn't go wrong.  I loved how they turned out.  Soft and sweet with a hint of almond flavoring.  We invited some friends over to decorate them and have been munching on these ever since!  Cheers to holiday baking!


Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 Tbs. lemon zest
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
5 cups flour

Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time.  Mix then add vanilla, almond and lemon zest.  Pour in baking powder and salt.  Add flour one cup at a time and mix until dough is smooth.  Chill in fridge overnight or 2 hours.  Roll out dough on floured surface.  Roll about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes.  When done, place on cooling rack to cool then frost.

Frosting

1 box powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
little bit of milk

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar with mixer until smooth.  Add vanilla.  If frosting is too thick, add a little bit of milk until desired consistency. 

1 comment:

Angie said...

I can second the yumminess of these cookies! Delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...