Sunday, October 14, 2012

APPLE SPICE CRUMB BREAD

I read a LOT of recipe blogs! Every time I see one I think I might be remotely interested in--I copy it. My recipe file is HUGE. And who am I kidding? There are some that I will NEVER make but they sounded good and interesting at the time. Will I ever really make Salted Caramel-Filled Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes? No--probably not, but they sounded delicious and the photo was gorgeous. However, I read the-baker-chick.com a lot and have and will continue to make many of her recipes. She is a darling girl who lives in New York City, just got married and cooks in a REALLY tiny kitchen. This Apple Spice Crumb Bread caught my eye and I happened to have some apples that needed to be used.  I must say--delicious!! Credit goes to Audra from her blog.


makes one 9x5 inch loaf


1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cup all-purpose flour (I used 1 whole wheat, 1 white)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 medium sized apples - peeled and cored. 2 of them chopped and 2 grated.

crumb topping
1/8 cup flour
1/8 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter- cut into small bits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Make crumb topping by mixing all ingredients but the butter, and then cutting the butter in with a knife until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Set aside.

In a bowl, whisk together the oil and sugars until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix into the sugar mixture. Stir in the buttermilk until moistened. Fold in the apples. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with crumb topping.

Bake 60 mins in the preheated oven, with a cookie sheet on a lower rack to catch any over-flow. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Note- it always takes me a good 15 minutes longer to get a loaf of quick bread baked all the way through. If after 60 minutes it still seems gooey, check it in 5 minute increments.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...