Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Peach Cobbler Debate

Ever since I canned peaches a few weeks ago, I've been on a peach cobbler kick.  I've made 3 different recipes in the last 2 weeks and have been analyzing them to decide which was in my favorite.  Nerd alert!  I know.  But I'm a foodie, what can I say?  I posted the first recipe just over a week ago.  It had brown sugar and cinnamon and the crust was like a sweet biscuit.  The 2nd recipe, which I will post, is more of a cake-like cobbler.  My husband liked it better than the first one.  I thought it was good, but even better when I ate it the next day.  Almost like a bread pudding.  Finally, the 3rd recipe I tried was from my Favorites cookbook.  The cobbler was good but way too sweet for me.  I know, I can't believe I just typed that.  Nothing is ever too sweet for me!  But it was so rich.  And it needed cinnamon.  So, the debate is over and I don't think I am going to make peach cobbler for a while.  I think I'm good for the year!  
And the winner is...... Peach Cobbler #1.  I loved the brown sugar, cinnamon and biscuit-like topping.  It was the perfect sweetness and went perfectly with vanilla ice cream.  Although, the 2nd one was good too!  Such a hard decision!  


Peach Cobbler (#2)

1 29oz. can sliced peaches or 4 cups
2 Tbs. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup water

In a large bowl, combine peaches with juice, melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Dissolve cornstarch in water then add to peaches.  Set aside.

1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

In another bowl, combine milk, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.  Beat until smooth.  Melt butter in 9x13 pan.  Pour batter over butter then spoon peaches over the batter.  Sprinkle with the teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4tsp. of nutmeg.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden brown.

2 comments:

keepinupwthejones said...

This is the recipe I have used that I got off of theshortstop.com, but you can also just use the canned pie filling in whatever flavor you like for the fruit. I've used blackberry and blueberry, but peach was our favorite. Probably gonna make this for dessert tonight since I have all the ingredients!

keepinupwthejones said...

Oops, I meant shortstopblog.com. http://www.shortstopblog.com/2010/02/blackberry-cobbler.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...