Thursday, March 4, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread

My lovely friend, Jill, came over the other day to teach me how to make bread. Sometimes I get intimidated when it comes to making bread or rolls, but after making it with Jill, I think I can become a bread maker. It was easy and not too time consuming. And, really, what's better than homemade bread! It tastes so good. Thanks Jill.

2 cups warm water
1 Tb. yeast
1/2 Tb. salt
1/6 cup olive oil (which is 1/3 of a 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup honey
3/4 Tb. dough enhancer
1/4 and 1/8 cup gluten flour
5 - 6 cups whole wheat flour

Put water and yeast in mixer. Mix for a few seconds to agitate the yeast. Add oil, honey and the rest of the ingredients. (we used 5 1/2 cups flour) Mix with dough hook at a high speed until bowl comes clean. About 8 minutes. Meanwhile, grease 2 bread pans with olive oil. Divide the dough in half and shape into loaves. Place in pans and let rise for 30 - 60 minutes in a warm place. Warm oven works well. When dough has risen to the top edges of the pan, it's ready to bake. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. When done, rub tops with butter and place on cooling rack.
Makes 2 loaves.

*Made in a Kitchen Aid and worked great. One day I will get a Bosch!

2 comments:

Jade said...

Yum I really need to make this. I too have been coveting a Bosch for some time.

Leigh said...

I think you should pay it forward Holly, and come show me how to make bread. I totally stink at it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...