Friday, April 27, 2012

FREEZING FRESH HERBS


I know this photo looks really strange... but you will thank me, I  promise.
Those of you who live in a nicer, cooler climate than I live in and can grow stuff without it literally frying in the sun will appreciate this post.  The last time I went to the grocery to buy fresh basil (not really a fan of dried) I had to buy a HUUUUUGE package of it. I used what I needed in my recipe--which was all of 2 tablespoons full and couldn't bear to throw the rest away. I Googled (is that a word--if not it should be) how to freeze fresh herbs. What did we ever do without Google?  Anyway--here are the directions and I'm sure you can use it for any fresh herbs.  I now have 2 Ziplock bags in my freezer of frozen basil cubes.

Wash and thoroughly dry whatever herbs you will be using i.e., basil, mint, thyme, rosemary, dill, etc.  Chop them to whatever desired size you want. Fill ice cube trays with approximately 2 t. full of chopped herbs and fill trays with water.  Freeze until frozen solid. Remove from ice cube trays and place in Zip lock bags. Store in the freezer. Don't forget to label the bags.  These will keep for 4-5 months.  When ready to use, remove one or two cubes from freezer.  If using in a cooked dish, just place the frozen cube in the dish and the water will quickly evaporate.  You will have the flavor and convenience of whatever fresh herb you use!!  I used a enough basil that was frozen to make pesto and it was delicious.  I just put the cubes in a strainer and let them thaw.  The water drained out and the basil was ready to use.  I don't think these would work as a garnish, as the herbs turn dark and don't look that pleasant, but the flavor is GREAT!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...