Thursday, April 26, 2012

Orange Cakes

Why has nobody ever told me that you can bake a cake inside of an orange?!  Seriously, I've lived 35 years without this knowledge.
This idea is brilliant.  Not to mention perfect for camping.  Which is why I came across this idea...because I am going to Girls' Camp with our church in a few weeks and we had to certify the girls in outdoor cooking last night.
We made Dutch oven pizzas (thanks to our amazingly-talented-camp-cook, Tylene) and then we made these little cakes.  You bake them in the campfire!  How much easier could this be?  I love everything about this.
Here's what you need:

medium-large navel oranges
yellow cake mix
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
heavy duty foil

*Mix cake mix with water, eggs and oil and stir well until the lumps are gone.  Set aside.  Wash your oranges.  Cut the top off (about 1/2 inch).  Scoop out all the middle like a pumpkin.  Now you have a hollow orange-bowl.  Spoon cake mix into the orange until it's 3/4 full.  Put the top back on and wrap tightly in the heavy duty foil.  Make sure you know where the top is.  Place in the hot coals of a campfire (not the flames).  Let cook for 15-20 minutes.  Remove from fire with tongs and let cool for a minute before unwrapping and enjoying with a spoon.  The cake is really moist and yummy with a hint of orange flavor.

*I'm dying to try this with different flavored cake mixes and different citrus.  Endless possibilities. 

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I guess you just need to go camping more! ha ha :) I've only had them once or twice a long time ago. I'll have to make them this summer. Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...