Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vegetable Soup

So far the winter hasn't been too bad here in NY.  Thank goodness!!  But this weekend it was pretty chilly.  Warm, homemade soup was calling my name.  I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com.  The whole family loved it!  It makes a lot so we ate it for a few days with crusty bread.  I loved it because it's full of veggies and not too heavy.  Perfect soup for the cold winter months!



Vegetable Soup
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
  • 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
  • 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
  • 4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes (I used 2 cans diced tomatoes)
  • 2 ears corn, kernels removed(I used 1 cup frozen corn)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I didn't have this so I left it out)
 Pour oil into a large stock pot and heat over medium heat.  Add chopped leeks, garlic and a pinch of salt and saute for about 7 minutes, until they begin to soften.  Add the carrots, potatoes and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes.  Then, add the chicken broth and turn stove to high heat.  Bring to a simmer, then add tomatoes, corn and pepper.  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook for about 25 minutes until veggies are fork tender.  Remove from heat and add parsley and lemon juice and more seasoning if needed.  Serve immediately. 

1 comment:

Jade said...

Yum, it is snowing outside and I want this soup now. I just don't want to scrape off my car to go to the store and get the ingredients for it :) Can't wait for AZ weather!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...