Sunday, November 13, 2011

Potpourri in a Pot

I made this the other day and my friend asked if she could eat it because it smelled so good.  This is the best way to make your house smell like the holidays. 

Potpourri

2 cinnamon sticks
5-8 whole cloves
1 apple cut up
a few shakes of cinnamon
water (or apple juice)

Throw everything in a small pot and fill it up with water (or juice).  Bring to boil then turn your stove down as low as it goes to a simmer.

Watch to make sure your water doesn't all evaporate (it isn't fun cleaning your pan and the burned smell defeats the purpose of the potpourri).  This works the great if you have one of those little crock pots that is used for sauces. My mom just bought an old little sauce pan from a thrift store that she doesn't care about.   Just keep adding more water throughout the day.
You can do lots of variations of this.  This is my fall version.   At Christmas time, I use orange peel and/cranberries instead of the apple and I always throw in fresh pine.  Honestly, this is so much better than any candle I have ever used.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...