Friday, April 25, 2008

DARN COMPUTER & BREAD PUDDING



I told you I was having issues with my new computer. I finally figured out how to post pictures, but in all my frustration I deleted the pictures I had of Pork Verde Tacos and Salsa. I'll make them again soon and post. I promise!!


Meanwhile, Megan came over and INSISTED that we find a recipe for Bread Pudding. Well - I just happen to have a good one that I don't make very often and you'll see why. It's definitely NOT low fat. You will think you died and went to heaven when you eat it though!


BREAD PUDDING


1/2 loaf of 1 1/2 lb. loaf of bread (I use Grandma Sycamore's White Bread)

2 c. half-and-half

1 cube butter (not margarine)

4 eggs

1 1/2 c. sugar

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/2 t. cinnamon

1 t. vanilla


Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9x9 square pan. Break bread into pieces and let get a little dry while preparing other ingredients. Break each slice into about 6 pieces. Not too small. Warm butter in half-and-half just until melted. Don't heat the milk too much or it will cook the eggs when they are added. Beat eggs and add sugar. Mix well and add vanilla. Stir in milk and butter. Mix the bread into the egg mixture with your hands so that the bread gets thoroughly soaked. Sprinkle the nutmeg and cinnamon in the mixture. Mix gently so the bread doesn't break up too much. Pour mixture into buttered pan and place on an old cookie sheet to bake. It puffs up a lot and the butter sometimes makes your oven messy. Bake for 40 minutes until a knife comes out fairly clean. Let cool and serve with whipped cream and berries. It's best when served warm but is also good cold and you can warm it in the microwave if it's leftover. I used fresh berries but I think Cracker's uses frozen and lets them thaw. They are just as good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could take a bite of this right thru my computer!! That looks delish! I was just talking to my mom about Crackers's Bread Pudding and how GOOD it is. I was going to find a good recipe for it this week. Now, I don't have to! I'm am totally going to make this! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Lana and Terry said...

Bonnie: You are such the "Betty." I love looking at all you delicious recipes. Could you come to my house and make them for me? Seriously, aren't you my good friend?

Rachel Cunningham said...

Can't wait to make this. I made your chicken enchiladas and banana cake this past week and they were both DELISH!! Keep em' coming!

Barbara said...

Not sure what you mean is a "cube of butter"? Is that a stick, 1/4 of a pound? I want to try this recipe ...we love the bread pudding at the Mariott..
Please write and let me know..thanks.Barbara Harmor
bharmor@hotmail.com

Ron and Paula said...

Bonnie, Hi this is Lana's niece Paula. I made this recipe for dessert on Sunday and it was delish! Ron loved it but we both had two helpings so I better not make it too often! Thanks for posting it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...