Friday, November 19, 2010

Spicy Quinoa Salad

I am trying to branch out and try new things in my cooking.
I kept coming across recipes with quinoa in them so I decided this was something I needed to try.
I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and decided it was too colorful to pass up.
I loved it.  I can't say that it's the most kid-friendly dish, because it's spicy.  But I loved it and I think it would be perfect for a bridal or baby shower, bunco night, book club or some fun get-together like that.  I do have one child who likes spicy food and he ate a whole bowl of it with some tortilla chips.
I'm also a sucker for cilantro and this has the perfect amount.
And the dressing.  Oh my gosh.  My favorite part.

1 1/2 cups cooked organic quinoa (cook according to package directions)
1 Tbs. salt (add when boiling quinoa)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (I used the frozen white corn from TJ's)
1 cup finely chopped sweet bell peppers
1 whole jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped green onion

*Mix these all together with the cooled quinoa and set aside.

Dressing:
5 Tbs. lime juice
1 tsp. salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper

*Mix well and toss with salad.
Salad tastes better after being refrigerated for a while.

1 comment:

Erinn said...

I made this last night & it was SO good! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...