Saturday, August 20, 2011

Easy Indian Fry Bread

My 12 year old daughter had Indian fry bread at girls' camp this summer and she's been craving it ever since.  So today she decided that we needed to learn how to make it ourselves.  She got online and found a really easy recipe (not sure where she found it) and then she got everything out we needed and waited until I was done scrubbing my toilet (I washed my hands after) so I could help her.  I was seriously surprised at how simple it was and it tasted good!  I kind of felt like we were at the State Fair.

1 cup unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. powdered  milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water
oil for frying (we used canola)

*Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet on the stove.  I put in on medium-high and that seemed to work fine.  The recipe says 350 degrees but I don't have a thermometer for oil.  Sift together all the dry ingredients.  Pour the water over the mixture and stir with a fork until it starts to clump.  Flour your hands and then begin to mix the dough so it forms a ball.  You want to mix well but you do NOT want to knead it.  The inside should be sticky and the outside floured.  Divide the dough into four pieces.  Using your floured hands, stretch the dough into a disk of about 5 inches across.  It doesn't have to be a perfect circle.  Drop the disc into the hot oil and let it cook for a minute or so on each side, or until it's a nice golden brown.  Let cool on some paper towels and then serve with honey and powdered sugar or whatever else you would like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crisco is best for fry bread, also a large very hot cast iron skillet. My husbands family is Indian and my mother in law makes amazing fry bread its so very addicting!! I stumbled on your blog through pinterest and I LOVE it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...