Sunday, April 26, 2009

Penne Pasta and Veggies

When it comes to dinner at our house, it almost always consists of meat as the main dish with veggies, salad or fruit as the side. I decided I wanted to start making at least one vegetarian meal a week. I proposed this plan to my husband and he consented. So, last week I made pasta with veggies for dinner one night. And you know what the first thing my hubby said, "No meat? I need a warning on the nights we are not going to have meat so I can eat more of it at lunch." It make take a few weeks for him to get used to this! Please, it's ONE night. Anyways, this vegetarian meal was very easy, very light and very tasty!

1 bag penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced (I buy the minced garlic in the jar - so easy)
1/2 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow zucchini squash, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 bunch or bag of broccoli
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to directions on package. Add broccoli to pasta 2 minutes before pasta is done. Drain water but leave pasta and broccoli in pot to keep warm. Meanwhile, in saucepan, pour 2 or 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil - Enough to cover bottom of pan. Add onions and garlic. Heat until slightly brown. Add all veggies (except broccoli of course). Heat on medium for 5 minutes until veggies are cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Add veggies to pasta pot and stir. Mix in parmesan cheese. Stir until melted. Can add more cheese if desired. Serve. Warning - this makes a lot!!

2 comments:

Jade said...

Mmmm I want some right now. Poor Dust he would be so jealous if he knew Ry got meat most meals. Can't wait to try this!

Heidi said...

I made this last week for dinner! I love pasta and veggies!! I loved it and will be making it again and again!!! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...