Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

 I got this recipe from Nat who got it from her mother-in-law, Janet.  I have had it for a few years and finally decided to try it out.  I changed it slightly after comparing it to other recipes I found on the internet.  I always thought homemade spaghetti sauce would be so time consuming to make, but I was wrong!  It was easy and I actually had most of the ingredients already.  We loved this sauce and it was even better the next day!


Spaghetti Sauce

2 Tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 lb. ground beef
2 6oz. cans tomato paste
1 large can pureed tomatoes (I used 28oz. can crushed tomatoes)
1/2 Tbs. oregano
1/2 Tbs. basil
1/2 Tbs. parsley
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 cups water 
3 Tbs. Parmesan cheese

Put oil in large pot, then add onion.  Saute until translucent then add garlic.  Stir for 1 minute.  Add beef and brown.  Pour in pureed tomatoes and tomato paste then add water.  Next, add spices and sugar.  Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  Serve over spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

*This makes a lot of sauce.  I used half one night and made lasagna with it the next night.  You can freeze the sauce to use later.

1 comment:

Jade said...

I was totally craving homemade spaghetti tonight. I'm excited to try this one. Maybe I will make it for the Gibbs.
Going to AZ tomorrow, so badly wish you were there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...